Store Hours: Mon - Fri: 9am - 9pm | Sat: 9am- 7pm | Sun: Closed
Contact Facebook

The History of Bennion Crafts & Frame

After graduating as a Pharmacist from Idaho State in 1950 and desiring to start a business in Utah, Stan and his wife Norene Bennion left their home in Logan to travel the state in search of a good business location.

After looking at places in Bingham, Toole, Grantsville and Salt Lake City, they just happened to stop in Roy on their way home. The more they looked at the area the more they liked it. Stan figured the area could use a good drugstore so they relocated their family to Roy.

The history of Bennion Crafts & FrameIn 1951 Stan and Norene opened the Bennion Drug on the corner of 1900 W. and 5600 S. in Roy. The Bennion Drug included a confectionary, a fountain and all the merchandise one would hope to find in a drugstore in the mid 1950’s. Eventually the store included items for animal care, which made the store a first place stop for farmers in the area.

In 1957 the business expanded to include a new building located at 1931 W. 5600 S. in Roy. A Ben Franklin franchise was purchased from Butler Brothers and the Ben Franklin Variety store opened in that location.

In 1965 a new shopping center located further west on 5600 S. was built to include an Albertsons food store. The Bennion Drug store and Ben Franklin Variety store were combined in to one location and the store was named Roy Drug Center located at 1975 W. 5600 S.

In 1985 the business expanded once again to gain more square footage and to include the addition of craft merchandise including fabric and framing departments. The business was renamed Ben Franklin Crafts.

In 1991, the shopping center was demolished and the Ben Franklin Craft store relocated across the street to the North side at 1946 W. 5600 S. to gain more square footage for the ever growing craft business and to accommodate for expansion of a new Albertsons Food and Drug tore. With over 20,000 square feet of retail space in the new location, the Ben Franklin Craft store became one of the largest retail craft stores in Northern Utah.

In 1997, Brothers Steve and Scott Bennion opened a second 20,000 square foot location in Kaysville, Utah and on April 1st 2012 have again opened another location at 4335 Harrison Blvd. in Ogden Utah under the name Bennion Craft and Frame.

The retail business has been good to our family for many years and we appreciate the friendships that we have made and look forward to serving the community for many years to come.